FedDev Ontario Supports Innovative Productivity Improvements for Orangeville Manufacturer
April 28, 2016 – Orangeville, Ontario – Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
Today, Ruby Sahota, Member of Parliament for Brampton North, on behalf of Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for FedDev Ontario, announced funding of up to $2 million to help Quality Cheese Inc. increase its competitiveness and expand its production capabilities.
The Government of Canada is investing to help businesses and entrepreneurs become more innovative, competitive and successful. This funding will support the installation of state-of-the-art equipment at Quality Cheese Inc.’s new 64,000-square foot facility in Orangeville, Ontario. These upgrades are expected to increase Quality Cheese’s production of specialty cheeses including brie, camembert and blue cheese. The increased production capabilities will also enable the company to scale up its operations to meet growing demand in domestic and international markets.
Through this project, Quality Cheese Inc. will improve energy and water efficiencies in their cheese production by integrating a water management system that improves environmental performance. This responds to an increasing number of environmentally-conscious customers who are looking for sustainable,locally-produced cheese.
This funding will also benefit local supply chains, including Ontario dairy farmers, as additional products will be required to meet increased production demands.
- The repayable contribution of up to $2 million is being provided through FedDev Ontario’s Investing in Business Growth and Productivity initiative toward a total project cost of $14.8 million.
- The project is expected to create up to 20 full-time jobs in Orangeville by project completion in 2017. FedDev Ontario’s investment will leverage $1.2 million from the provincial government and $11.57 million in private sector investment.
- Incorporated in 1988, Quality Cheese Inc. is a family-owned, award-winning producer of speciality cheeses.
“Our Government continues to support the growth of quality manufacturers across southern Ontario. Today’s funding demonstrates our commitment to helping manufacturers increase productivity, while using environmentally-friendly technologies. This in turn will give them the competitive edge they need to succeed, while strengthening Ontario’s manufacturing sector and creating jobs in this region.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
“Our Government is proud to support companies that source local products for use in their own operations and manufacturing. Investing in companies such as Quality Cheese will not only help the company grow, but will also create increased demand for Ontario’s dairy farmers. It is important to support companies that actively support their local economy and communities.”
– Ruby Sahota, Member of Parliament for Brampton North
“This funding from FedDev Ontario will enable Quality Cheese to increase our production capacity, expand efficiencies for growth and compete for import and export opportunities. These actions are vital to achieving our company’s short-term and longer-term goals as we continue to grow in our production of speciality cheeses, including brie, camembert and blue cheese products.”
– Albert Borgo, Vice-President, Quality Cheese Inc.